At this time of year, for many of us, our thoughts turn to those less fortunate than ourselves.
Last year we had an amazing reponse to our shoebox appeal. Most of us participate in 'Secret Santa' with our friends or colleagues, why not get together with a few work mates and launch your very own St Basils shoebox appeal. Your local St Basils projects, and vulnerable young people in your community really do appreciate the time and effort you all put into these gifts. You can even add a Christmas card, it's always nice for the person receiving your box to know a name and why you wanted to give a gift at Christmas. (Please do not give out any personal identifying information)
For some of our young people this may be their first Christmas on their own. Some of our young residents also have dependants. Our staff are always keen to ensure each young person will get at least one present but it's not always easy for staff to seek out donations.
So this Christmas we're asking everyone to donate a present to a young person, or the value of a present so that staff can go and buy them something.
Knowing that someone in their local communities is thinking of them will mean the world to our young people.
1. Fill a shoe box wrapped in gift paper or a medium sized gift bag with treats and other stocking fillers you think a child under 3 or a young person aged 16-25 might need or appreciate.
2. If you include gender specific gifts please write a M (Male), F (Female) or a B, BB or BG (Baby/Baby Boy/Baby Girl) on the box or gift tag.
3. If possible please donate enough for a whole project so that no ones left out. Our smallest project is 4 units, our largest 48. There is more information here as to the size of your local project: St Basils Supported Accommodation Schemes
4. This is a good initiative for an office, school or activities group. Everyone could bring in just one box but your combined donation will be quite sizeable!
5. We know how busy people are though in the run up to Christmas so if you don't have time but still want to contribute please donate the amount you would have spent through the BT 'My Donate' function on our website and write 'Secret Santa' in the message box: Donate today!
If you live in Birmingham please contact St Basils fundraising team and we will liaise with your chosen project/ a local project in Birmingham on your behalf.
If you live outside of Birmingham please contact your local project to arrange delivery.
If you live in Coventry or anywhere nearby please contact our Coventry services staff team.
Thank you for your support!