The Big Sleepout 2023
Sleep rough for one night so a young person doesn’t have to.
- Start Date: 1st Dec, 2023 @ 6:00pm
- Closing Date: 2nd Dec, 2023 @ 6:00am
- Location: Millennium Point, Curzon St, Birmingham, B4 7XG
Are you looking to make a meaningful impact in the lives of young people?
At The Big Sleepout 2023, we’re challenging you to step out of your comfort zone and spend a night under the open sky, all for a great cause.
By raising funds and awareness, we aim to provide essential support to young people at risk of homelessness in the West Midlands, who are in increasing need of our help.
What Will The Evening Involve?
The Big Sleepout is St Basils flagship event, and is the oldest of it’s kind.
It’s a challenge to sleep outside on a cold winter’s evening, so that a young person may not have to.
You can expect a winter-themed evening of like-minded individuals building their shelter for the night in hopes to win our coveted “Creative Cardboard Competition” Award – so get your creative head on!
The night will be adorned with free curry and hot drinks from the well-loved Langar Aid, as well as the anticipated presentation inside Millennium Point, where we share heart-warming stories from young people.
If that’s not enough, the atmosphere is set wonderfully by our Christmas Brass Band, before the challenge ahead of keeping warm on a cold winter’s evening.
Can’t make it to Millennium Point?
Dedicated Sleepouters from all over the West Midlands take part in our Sleepout From Home – for example, the wonderful Jess, a 9-year-old from Redditch who slept out in her garden once a night until Christmas 2022!
We will give you everything you need to Sleepout From Home, including a special Sleepout From Home activity pack.
Just select “Sleepout From Home” when signing up.
Why should you participate?
Your participation will directly contribute to providing shelter, education, and essential support services for young people at risk of or experiencing homelessness.
Our services include:
- Supported Accommodation
- Emergency accommodation
- Care Leavers Support
- Employability Programme
- Homelessness prevention services (such as mediation and substance misuse support)
- Youth Voice (a programme dedicated to preventing homelessness by ensuring young people are heard in the homelessness prevention sphere)
Every penny raised will contribute to ensuring these services stay available for those who need them.
Sign Up Today
A bit of broken sleep can put lives back together
Please click on the link below to register for this event- a fundraising page will be automatically set up for you, so all you need to do is sign up and share!
When you register your event pack will be sent to you within a few days.
Registration closes on Friday 24th Nov at 5pm.
Confirm your attendance and join the discussion on our Facebook event.
Sleepout Participant, 2022:
"Spending a night outside, facing even a fraction of the challenges that homeless young people can endure, opened my eyes to the urgency of the issue. I'm grateful for the opportunity to be part of such a meaningful event and contribute to the cause of providing shelter, support, and hope to those who need it most."
A thank you to our dear friends, who this legendary event wouldn’t be possible without the support of:
And to our dedicated and wonderful volunteers!
Does it cost to take part?
- No, it’s free. But we do rely very heavily on people raising vital funds through sponsorship and sharing your fundraising page with friends, family and colleagues. Each £9 raised helps us to pay for a night’s accommodation for a young person, of which we support 600+ every single night.
How much should I raise?
- As much as you can! Most individuals taking part aim to raise £100+.
What should I wear?
- As per the English weather, expect to wear warm coats, thick socks and gloves, sensible waterproof shoes or boots, and overall, something comfortable. We even have participants show up in fancy dress, or their warmest pyjamas! Your imagination is the limit, as long as you are warm.
What should I bring with me?
- You should bring a sleeping bag/ blankets, a roll mat, extra thin layers, snacks and non-alcoholic drinks, and small games or some entertainment to get you through the night.
How many people turn up?
- Approximately 400+ people each year take part in the St Basils Big Sleepout.
What is the Creative Cardboard Competition?
- Participants bring their own cardboard and materials to decorate their shelter every year. In the past, people have made castles, palaces, Land Rovers, and even the Millennium Falcon with flashing lights! The most creative shelter of the night wins the coveted Big Sleepout Creative Cardboard trophy.
Is there entertainment on the night?
- We have the amazing Band of the West Midlands Fire Service playing festive favourites, a wonderful warming curry being served by community favourites Langar Aid, and games such as Giant Jenga. We will also have the creative cardboard competition, the presentation in the Millennium Point and chances to chat and network with others who share your values.
I am not receiving emails about the event?
- We will keep you updated with news about the 2023 Big Sleepout via email. The emails will have all of the details you need to know about the event, as well as important updates, tips and tricks, news of attendees and more. It is important you get these emails to keep updated. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are not receiving our emails, and we will do our best to help.